Web, session 4
- Discuss: find three themes (free or $) that you find visually appealing; create an interesting link post (creative headlines!) about them on the SBdesign220 course blog; your primary audience is your fellow classmates – what might they want to know? Include a screen capture of each one. Remember to link to each theme. Post to class WP site before 5 pm on Wednesday.
- Read and comment on your classmate posts
- What makes a good theme?
- How can you decide if you should buy a theme?
- What are the parts of a theme?
- HTML 5 – how it’s different
- Basic HTML
Lab / HTML
> Getting Started with HTML
> Tags, Attributes and Elements
> Page Titles
- Create an account at CodeAcademy
- Complete Introduction to HTML (two modules)
Lab / WP (or before Monday’s class)
- Install JetPack
- Install at least one new theme on your self-hosted site.
- Turn on Akismet (use your WP.com account info to get your FREE API Key)
- Make sure your Gravatars have photo or sketch (of you), biographical info.
- Time permitting > Install Yoast SEO pack
Next session assignments
- Read/resources: (see main page)
- Create a post on the student site with information about your self-hosted site (domain, purpose, audience). Be sure to include the link! Write about how you might/will you use a blog with your site. Link to your Gravatar. Talk about the theme you installed and why you picked it. Was it one that you found or one that a classmate found?