Mastering usability testing
South Puget Sound Community College // January 6-7
Tests and Tools
Heuristic Evaluation Exercise
Track your steps to help you make an assessment; you can use the back of an evaluation sheet. Taking notes is a non-verbal “thinking out loud” practice. If you’re doing this in a closed environment, consider thinking out loud with a recorder running. Take screen captures of things that are especially good or especially egregious. (Kathy > pitch Skitch)
For your analysis, use the 12 new/revised heuristics (the set that includes privacy).
- You recently moved here and registered to vote with the Washington Secretary of State. Starting at the SOS website, check to see if you are yet officially registered.
- You recently moved to Pierce County. You want to see what’s on the ballot for the February election. Starting at the SOS website, find what’s on the Pierce County ballot in February.
- You want to go see Star Wars this weekend. Go to Fandango.com (phone or desktop) and find a showing near you for Sunday afternoon that has tickets available.
- Sites/tasks from L&I?
- Effective (could you accomplish the task)
- Efficient (how straightforward/time-consuming was the task)
- Error tolerant (errors anticipated by the application? error message clarity?)
Essays and Examples
- 20 tips for your next moderated usability test
- Balancing the 5 Es, Whitney Quesenbery
- Card Sorting 101 from Optimal Workshop (OptimalSort)
- First Click Testing 101 from Optimal Workshop (Chalkmark)
- Guerrilla HCI, Jakob Nielsen
- How to conduct a heuristic evaluation, Jakob Nielsen
- How to conduct a heuristic evaluation, Oracle (detailed, PDF)
- Turn user goals into task scenarios for usability testing, Jakob Nielsen
- UX & Error Messages: stop scaring your uses, Medium
- Usability Test Plan Toolkit (£9)
- An intro to usability testing by Amberlight Partners
- Example Usability Test with a Paper Prototype by Blue Duck Labs
- EyeTracking – Display Ads
- EyeTracking – Web usability testing
- Foundations of UX: Accessibility by Lynda.com
- Foundations of UX: Prototyping by Lynda.com
- Foundations of UX: Usability Testing by Lynda.com
- HeathCare.gov // early testing
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy by Steve Krug: Usability Demo
- Usability testing of fruit by blinkux
- What is usability testing by Lynda.com