Design Principles, Session 3
- Assignment review
- Check your email for feedback on skill check 2; incorporate into final design brief due next week
- You’re a journalism instructor at UW. You have heard about a MOOC (anyone know what this stands for?) focused on building bots for journalism. A friend forwarded an email with information about the course and this link to register.
- Record your steps/thoughts as you try to register for this course. Observe expectations versus website performance.
- To register, you must be logged in.* If your prior username and password do not work (link to a page with a login screen), you’ll need to create a new account. (All of the new account info should be on the new account page not here – it’s visual clutter.)
* Once you have logged in, go to the MOOC course list (https://journalismcourses.
org/course/index.php? categoryid=2) and select “Building Bots for Journalism: Software You Talk With”
(Why can I not go straight to the course page > https://journalismcourses.
* Click “Enroll me” (the contrast here is poor: blue button on a blue bar).
* We’ll send you an email confirming your enrollment (active tense), and you will see the course in “My Courses”
- Small group presentations
- Universal design principles
Optional design discussion
- Compare “fake news” with real news for genre similarities
- Is this real or fake? (What’s missing from this site?)
- Show Overdrive’s UX weakness RE bookmarkable URLs (SnoIsle broken UX, also demonstrates InVision)
- Font awesome
- Grid by example
- I ❤️ wireframes
- InVision (the SnoIsle walk-through)
- Readability: optimal line length
- Screen resolution statistics
- Screen sizes
- Ultimate website launch checklist
- Understanding pixel density
- Webflow (CMS and hosting company)
- Wireframes and UX principles
- Complete week three skill check (Dropbox) by Monday May 7 @ 6 pm. Email completed form to kathy – dot – gil l@ bellevuecollege – dot – edu with the subject line: Design principles, week 3, FirstName LastName; please add your name to the file name
- Submit your final design brief that incorporates the questions from all three skill checks into one document by Monday May 7 @ 6 pm to kathy-dot-gill @ bellevuecollege-dot-edu with the subject line: Design principles, final brief, FirstName LastName; please include your name in the file name
- This can be Word or PDF
- If you are using Word365, please print a PDF and attach that rather than share the document with me.
- If you used PPT or PDF or images for your presentation, please share those with me as well.