Prep for tonight
- LEAN check-in:
- What are you working on?
- Where do you need help?
- What are you doing next?
- In the news: SEO and deep app content
- Assignment: Visit the three competitor websites using a mobile device (or two or three). Take screen caps — which work well and why? How does the mobile experience compare to desktop? Why might someone visit the website on mobile (or not)?
:: Andrew | Jackson | Katie | Nicole | Raisa
- Assignment: Post a mock up (more than pencil, less than final comp) of your app’s “store” page in either Android or iOS store. Include one fake review. Your app icon should be more refined if you got design critique feedback. The icon should be uploaded to Slack IN #projects.
:: Andrew | Jackson | Katie (app icon) | Nicole | Raisa
- Website for mobile app discussion
- The difference between functional sites and promotional sites
- Which will yours be?
- Student presentations: GeekSpeak (part 1)
- Speaking the lingo: CDMA/GSM – Jackson
- Speaking the lingo: 3G/4G/LTE networks – Katie
- More on applications
- More on icons
- My tweet with comparison of Slack // results of my FB requests
- Apple guidelines for app icons – “Avoid transparency” and dimensions chart that includes launch image, etc
- Google guidelines for app icons – nothing here about transparency but check out dimensions, layering, color palettes
- Android app icon template // iOS icon template
- Android app icon creator (online app – Chrome preferred browser)
- iOS8 app icon template on dribble
- iOS line icons for iOS8 (pdf)
The profile is accessed thusly:
- Work on what you have identified in the LEAN check-in.
- Reminder: all materials need to be finalized by 10 pm next Wednesday and each student will give a short presentation on their app in the first hour of class, then we’ll have our final exam. From 7.30 – 10.00 we’ll have food break and lab time for polishing work.
Next session assignments
- Post prototype link to Slack in #prototypes channel by 11 pm tonight. Obviously, you can continue working on your InVisionApp prototype because the link does not change. Remember, uploading files with the same name yields an auto-refresh of the content, as does syncing with DropBox. See below for how to make a post; and see the notes to the right of the post for formatting info.
- Your app logo should be finalized and posted to our WordPress site by Monday.
- Either your store mockup or web site mock up should be finalized and posted to our WordPress site by Monday.
- Provide peer feedback on one another’s prototypes by 5 pm Monday. This link shows the InVision posts on the right (pinned posts).
NOTE: this is how to format text in Slack comments/posts
How to make a POST on Slack
It’s important that your Slack entry that contains your prototype link be one that allows for threaded comments.
Here is the Slack how-to for creating a post — get started by using one of these two methods: